Give the Gift of Preparedness
Should you be concerned?
| Why prepare?
| How to prepare?
10 Things You Can Do Now to Prepare for a Pandemic:
- 1) Take stock of your household. How long could you sustain yourself
without being re-supplied?
- 2) Begin now to work with your doctor and insurance company to obtain
extra medications for any pre-existing conditions.
- 3) Buy extra food and a case of water each time you shop. You should have
1 gallon of water per person per day. Include food that will not need
- 4) Prepare for being without normal medical assistance, what kind of over
the counter medicines might you need? Anti-diarrheal, antihistamine, if
you are prone to skin irritations a cortisone cream, cough drops, aspirin or
Tylenol, rehydration solution such as Pedialyte for children or Gatorade for
- 5) Prepare for infection control, gloves, masks, disinfectants; learn about
caring for someone who may be infected in your household. Pandemic Protection Kit
- 6) If you have children consider how they might be occupied during long
periods of being kept away from others. Place books and toys in your
- 7) If you have pets ensure enough food and medication to meet their needs.
- 8) An alternate method to cook, for example a propane grill. Caution should
be used with alternative methods to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- 9) Sanitation is important in times of infectious disease. Ensure an adequate
supply of soap, disinfectant, bleach, paper towels, Kleenex, portable
camping toilet or disposable toilet.
- 10) Talk to your neighbors and encourage each other to prepare. Find out
what your community, business and local school are doing to prepare.
Free Pandemic Preparation Guide